If you’re tired of the same old greens and vinaigrettes, we’ve got a refreshing and tangy twist that’s bound to excite your palate. Allow me to introduce you to the Pickled Veggie Salad with Black Lentils, a vibrant medley of flavors, textures, and the delightful surprises of pickled vegetables. This salad is a winner, from the crisp crunch of Romaine lettuce, the earthy richness of black lentils, the zesty kick of red onions, and the vibrant hues of carrots, zucchini, and cauliflower.
But what sets this salad apart from the rest is its secret weapon – pickled veggies. Pickling, a centuries-old preservation method, is not just about preserving vegetables for longer shelf life. It’s a culinary art that elevates the flavor and nutritional profile of humble veggies.
- 1-2 cups of Romaine
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup zucchini
- 1/2 cup cauliflower
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch parsley
Quick Pickling Instructions
Place thinly sliced vegetables in individual 1 cup containers with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and let marinate for 2-3 hours.
Dressing Ingredients – Balsamic Vinaigrette
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 tablespoons no sugar added balsamic vinegar
– 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
– Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange the salad with lentils on the bottom, followed by layered pickled vegetables, and arugula on top.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly golden. Sprinkle them over the salad.
- Serve with dressing