Halloween is right around the corner and I can’t think of anything better to pass out to my neighborhood goblins and ghouls than these homemade almond butter cups that I make amazing with superfood maca powder and raw cacao, and finish with a pinch of pure sea salt. No refined sugar and corn syrup in your house, this is a sweet treat that you can feel good about.
Amazing Almond Butter Cups
2/3 cup raw cacao powder
2/3 cup coconut oil
3 T. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. alcohol free vanilla extract
Almond butter (approx. 1/2 cup at room temperature)
1 tsp. maca powder
- Set up double boiler – Set this up using two pots one larger and one smaller. Fill the larger pot with a few inches of water, enough to touch the bottom of the second pot, then, place the smaller pot in the larger pot, and set the whole thing on the stove.
- Make your chocolate – Place double-boiler over medium heat, melt coconut oil, and mix in cacao, vanilla, cinnamon, maca, maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt. Stir well.
- Start with the bottom layer – Fill small muffin tin with liners, then add 2 tsp. of chocolate in each cup to make the bottom layer. Set remaining chocolate mixture aside for later, but keep melted. Place muffin tin with the first layer of chocolate in freezer for 5-10 minutes to harden.
- Add filling – Mix your spoonful of maca powder to your room temperature almond butter, and mix well. Remove muffin tin from freezer. Add a spoonful of almond butter to each cup, in a flat layer.
- Add top layer – Pour remaining chocolate evenly between the cups, a few teaspoons each.
- Decorate – Here is where you can be creative. Tops your cups off with another pinch of sea salt, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, goji berries or nuts of your choice. Then, place the tin back in the freezer until firm. Store covered in the fridge or freezer (they tend to melt faster than your store bought cups).