What’s better than coffee cake for dessert after a long day? Spiced Coffee Cake for dessert after a long day! This is my favorite coffee cake recipe of all time and a major crowd-pleaser for several reasons. First, after much trial and error, we figured out how to get the PERFECT coffee cake texture. It has a moist interior with a slight crisp to the crumble topping. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Second, the flavor is out-of-this-world delicious. It has notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, and allspice. And third, it’s a healthier alternative to traditional coffee cake because it uses a combination of almond flour, potato starch, and arrowroot flour rather than standard refined white flour. It also calls for coconut sugar instead of the ultra-processed type and is completely vegan and gluten-free. Enjoy!
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup gluten free flour
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp maple syrup
3 T chopped pecans
2 T gluten free oats
3/4 cup almond milk
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup dairy-free yogurt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 T vanilla
3 cups almond flour
1 cup potato starch
¼ arrowroot powder
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tsp allspice
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 T ground cinnamon
3 T coconut sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch round springform cake pan. Then, dust your greased pan with about 1 Tablespoon of GF flour and shake out any excess.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add coconut sugar, gf flour, chopped pecans. Stir in melted coconut oil and maple syrup, set aside.
3. In a small bowl, add almond milk, apple cider vinegar, yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together all remaining dry ingredients.
5. Add wet mixture into dry. Stir to combine.
6. Add about half of this batter into the cake pan, pressing gently to make sure it is evenly spread (it’s okay if it isn’t perfect!).
7. In a small dish, whisk together cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle onto the first cake layer.
8. Add the remaining half of batter into the pan and sprinkle again with any remaining cinnamon sugar.
9. Finally, top the cake evenly with crumble topping.
10. Bake on the center rack for about 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Check with a toothpick to ensure it is baked through to the very center.
11. Let cool for 15 minutes before releasing springform ring, and then finishing cooling on a cooling rack.
12. Serve! Best enjoyed with a steaming hot cup of coffee or tea!