When I don’t know what to make for dinner, I turn to recipes like this. Satisfying, healthy, and easy to make, this recipe is a crowd pleaser with zesty lemon flavor and fresh herbs. You could make with cauliflower rice to add in even more vegetables, or serve alongside sauteed spinach or steamed broccoli (both go really well with these flavors). I always go with organic meat options, if you’re not a fan of ground turkey, these can be made with grass-fed beef, bison, or organic dark meat chicken.
Lemony Turkey Meatballs with Rice
1 pound organic ground turkey meat, 95% lean (or dark meat)
1/3 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
1 T. nutritional yeast
1 T. lemon zest
1 organic free-range egg
2 cloves garlic, pressed
¼ cup organic parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried Italian seasonings
1 tsp. sea salt
1 bunch green onions, white parts chopped for meatballs (you will use the remaining green parts for the rice).
2 T. olive oil or coconut oil to sauté in
1 small white onion, finely chopped
generous pinch sea salt
1 cup organic basmati rice
Juice & zest of 2 lemons
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 ½ cups organic chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/3 cup organic parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch green onions, green parts
lemon slices (garnish)
- In a medium bowl add the turkey, gluten-free bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, lemon zest, egg, garlic. Use your hands to mix together.
- Then add in the green onions and your seasonings, the parsley, sea salt, and Italian seasonings. Do not overwork.
- Form the meat mixture into approximately tablespoon sized meatballs, this should make about 15 meatballs
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in 2 Tablespoons of olive or coconut oil
- Add the meatballs to the hot skillet and brown on all sides until nearly cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the skillet and set aside, but leave the remaining oil/juices in the skillet
- Turn the heat down to medium and add your chopped onion, sea salt, and rice, sauté until rice is translucent on the edges and onions are softened, stirring often.
- Add in the garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest give a good stir, then immediately add in the chicken or vegetable broth
- Bring to a simmer, then add the meatballs back in to the skillet on top of the rice, then place lid on the skillet and turn heat to low.
- Cook for about 12 minutes, until rice is cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed. Then garnish with generous topping of fresh parsley, green onions, and slices of lemon.