A hearty bowl of this creamy, savory delight is not just a feast for the taste buds but also a nourishing treat for the body and the soul. Pumpkin is a low-calorie vegetable that’s densely packed with essential nutrients. It’s a great source of vitamins A, C, and E, as well as minerals like potassium and magnesium. Vitamin A, in particular, is essential for good vision and a healthy immune system. Pumpkin is also rich in antioxidants, such as beta-carotene, which can help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals! Sage is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation in the body. Some studies suggest that sage may have a positive impact on memory and cognitive function. It has been traditionally used to enhance mental clarity and concentration… talk about a win-win of a recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 tsp fresh sage leaves thinly chopped
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock (I used EG Kitchen Bone Broth!)
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated (I used VioLife Vegan Parmesan)
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and cook chopped onion with a pinch of salt for about 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and chopped sage, and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant but not brown.
- Add rice and cook until translucent, stirring often about 1 minute. Don’t let it brown. Deglaze with wine and stir.
- Add ½ to 1 cup chicken stock and stir to incorporate. Cook until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring constantly. Repeat until there’s no stock left and rice is fully cooked (taste the rice to know when it’s cooked).
- Stir in pumpkin puree and parmesan, and cook just enough to heat the pumpkin.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with more parmesan and sage.