With Men’s Health month already here and Father’s Day just around the corner, I’m getting more questions than ever from clients about what men can do to improve their health and wellness. I want to answer some of those questions here, and what better way to celebrate the guys in our lives than by talking about what they can do to maintain their good health!
It’s no secret that men, just like women, can benefit greatly from eating healthfully and exercising regularly. But what else can men do to stay healthy? Here are five things I would suggest men incorporate in their lives to stay feeling their best, no matter their age:
1. Prioritize your health
Studies show that men are far less likely than women to regularly see a health-care practitioner or seek help for their symptoms – even when severe. Men, trust me when I tell you – simply prioritizing your health will significantly improve your quality of life. This can be as easy as doing one thing each week to benefit your wellness. Examples include having one meat-free day, checking your blood pressure two or three times a week, or buying a new water bottle to increase your fluid intake daily.
2. Don’t skip your screenings
As I noted above, men are notorious for avoiding check-ups. I understand – health screenings can be uncomfortable, vulnerable, and honestly, a bit scary! But screenings are an essential part of leading a healthy and happy life. There are a few crucial screenings to keep in mind. Beginning at age 18, one dental exam and one thorough skin-health check should be completed annually. A multi-panel blood test should be carried out every 2-3 years (or as often as your doctor recommends) to check your lipid, liver, kidney, and blood sugar values. By age 50, blood testing should be done yearly, with prostate and colon screenings as often as your doctor recommends after your initial screening. It might sound like a lot, but many of these tests can be completed at a single appointment! And the peace of mind you’ll feel after a great check-up – or after catching a minor, treatable health issue before it develops into something serious – is way worth it!
3. Pay attention to your mental health
When I talk about health, I’m not just talking about the physical. Mental health is just as critical! Culturally, our society has made it hard for men to ask for help when they need it. Luckily, this is changing. Tools like therapy and meditation are all becoming accepted for men, and trust me, no matter your gender identity, we can all benefit from such tools!
4. Increase your fiber intake
What has zero calories, is necessary for everything from weight loss to digestive health, normal blood sugar, heart health, and beyond? It’s fiber! Many of my clients who first come to me are not eating nearly enough fiber. In fact, the average U.S. adult consumes only 10-15 grams of fiber daily. Men, you should aim for consuming more than 50 grams of fiber daily to maintain optimal health. Think fresh fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. Simple as that!
5. Supplement up
I am a huge fan of choosing quality nutritional supplements to support a healthy lifestyle, because they are a fantastic tool for maintaining good health and wellness for men! Here are my four favorites from Thorne – one of my most trusted, go-to brands:
- L-Carnitine: I LOVE Thorne’s L-Carnitine, especially for men, because it does so many amazing things for men’s health! L-carnitine is an amino acid that helps maintain muscle, bone, and heart function; it helps maintain healthy lipid levels; it supports a healthy sperm count, and much more. It is crucial for the highly active man and can even promote healthy appetite levels.
- Men’s Multi: I love a good multi! Finding a quality multi-vitamin/mineral formula is an excellent way to ensure you’re getting all the nutrients you need to feel your best every day. Thorne’s version uses the purest, most absorbable form of each vitamin and mineral to ensure you’re getting top quality nutritional support.
- Curcumin Phytosome: Curcumin is a bioactive compound, more commonly known as a component of the spice turmeric, and it has many proven health benefits – from aiding in preventing some nasty chronic diseases to helping maintain a normal inflammatory response throughout the entire body. Thorne’s Curcumin Phytosome is a high-quality, sustained-release form that relieves the occasional aches, stiff joints, and exercised-induced muscle pain!
- PolyResveratrol-SR: Resveratrol, an abundant plant compound in red grapes and wine, has potent activity for balancing the inflammatory response in the body when supplemented due to its antioxidant abilities. Thorne’s version has added plant extracts and pterostilbene, which enhances resveratrol’s beneficial impact on the heart, liver, and kidneys, as well as its healthy-aging properties!
What better gift for yourself or a loved one this Father’s Day than the gift of health?! Men can support their health and wellness in so many ways, but doing just one of the above tips can have a considerable positive impact. Do you want to learn more about how you or a guy you love can improve their health? Then schedule a one-on-one with me today. Happy Men’s Health Month, and Happy Father’s Day, Dads!