I am always looking out for the nutrients and supplements that pack the most powerful punch in the smallest package. It’s this that makes a superfood “Super”.
Today’s superfood is broccoli sprouts. Would you believe me if I told you that the sprout is 50 times more powerful in preventing cancer then the whole vegetable?
Harvested when under a week old, broccoli sprouts have substantial amounts of antioxidants, nutrients, and phytochemicals that are crucial for cancer prevention. In fact, just under .2 ounces of broccoli sprouts have the same amount of cancer fighting power than found in over 5 ounces of mature broccoli!
With 30-40% of cancer deaths being diet related, food is one of the easiest ways to prevent a diagnosis! Here are many reasons why you should be eating your broccoli in sprouted form:
- Cancer Prevention – In the food world, broccoli is the highest source of glucoraphanin. Glucoraphanin is the precursor to sulforaphane and sulforaphane mobilizes the body’s natural cancer protection and helps reduce chance of malignancy. Broccoli sprouts offer abundant phytochemical protection against cancer both in stopping the spread of cancer and in assisting the body in detoxing cancer-causing substances. Broccoli Sprouts offer chemoprotection, the intentional effort to increase the body’s own defense mechanisms that decrease our susceptibility to carcinogens. Another substance in broccoli, indole-3-carbinol (I3C), seems to alter estrogen levels and raise levels of protective enzymes in the body.
- Diabetes – In a study released in the November 2012 issue of the “International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition” showed that diabetes patients experienced decreased insulin resistance when they supplemented their diets with 10 grams of broccoli sprout powder per day for four weeks.
- Heart Health – Broccoli sprouts decrease blood triglycerides in people with type 2 diabtes and in studies significantly lowered blood pressure and inflammation, while boosting HDL (or good) cholesterol – All strong factors that contribute to heart disease. (recommended amount for this effect is 2 ounces or more per day).
- Helicobacter Pylori and Gut Health – Broccoli sprouts reduce bacterial colonization of H. pylori and prevent and protect damage to intestinal cells.
- Respiratory Health – Broccoli sprouts protect against respiratory inflammation that causes conditions like asthma, allergic rhinitis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Arthritis – Broccoli sprouts show strong anti-arthritis and immunoregulatory effects and may even offer a possible treatment option for those with rheumatoid arthritis.
This sprouted superfood food is really easy to add to your diet in salads, wraps or just eat them by the handful 😉 They look like alfalfa sprouts so don’t get confused and they offer a pepper taste similar to arugula or radish.
It’s always best to grow your own or find organic sprouts. You can grown broccoli sprouts yourself and have edible sprouts in 5-7 days. Choose seeds that are approved by the International Sprout Grower Association and are certified organic, the seed quality is important. If you prefer your brocolli sprouts in supplemental form, I suggest this Super Sprout – Certified Organic, Super Broccoli Sprout Powder.