Part of my passion, my work, and something I spend a lot of time on is researching the wellness products you need to know about. I liken myself to the Nancy Drew of the super food and supplement world. My favorite research subject is myself and every product I recommend is a part of my own wellness routine. Can I just rename myself “Super Food Girl” and call it a day 😉
On my radar this week is Gynostemma aka “Magical Grass”. Gynostemma has the largest amount of saponins (photo-chemicals) of ANY natural plant, containing over 4x the amount found in ginseng (and if you’re not sure what that means, think cancer fighting, antioxidant kick ass!).
Gynostemma is also a powerful adaptogenic herb in Chinese medicine. Adaptogens were granted their name because of their distinctive ability to ‘adapt’ their function according to your body’s needs. An adaptogen benefits the body as a whole, being able to respond to any influence or stressor that it needs to.
I prefer to get my Gynostemma in tea form, via Ron Teeguarden’s Dragon Herbs Spring Dragon Longevity Tea. Drinking in tea form makes it easy & tasty and this is arguably one of the healthiest teas on earth for its adaptogenic (and saponic!) properties.
Why is it in the running for healthiest tea on earth?
Research indicates Gynostemma can be therapeutic in lowering cholesterol, lowering high blood pressure, building the immune system, treating diabetes, and inhibiting cancer growth, but that’s not all. Gynostemma has been found to increase SOD (superoxide dismutase) which is a powerful cellular antioxidant.
Dragon Herbs takes Gynostemma to the next level. The Spring Dragon Longevity Tea is Gynostemma based with a blend or miracle fruits and herbs including:
- Astragalus – energy herb and one of the most important in Chinese medicine as an energy and blood tonic
- Lycium (Goji berries) – longevity aid, nourishes blood, kidneys, and liver
- Eleuthero – immune system stimulator
- Luo Han Guo – medicinal herb and sugar replacer
- Schizandra – “the Herb that does it all” in particular promoting vitality and beauty, purifying the blood and supporting mental health
This is a tea tonic that incrorporates Gynostemma with several other powderful fruits and herbs, and was designed to be:
- Calming without being sedative
- Antioxidant rich
- Immune supportive
- Digestive aid and soothing for the gut
- A respiratory tonic
- A treatment for diabetes, reducing blood glucose
Because of these benefits and more, The Spring Dragon Gynostemma Tea has a place in my S.O.U.P. cleanse program. In particular, for a “cleansing” client, this tea can serve three major purposes during their cleanse week
- It has the ability to help adjust blood sugar and blood fat levels, which are critical steps in achieving healthy and balanced metabolic function. You still need to eat healthy and you still need to get in physical activity, there is no quick fix, but this tea can help restore metabolic wellness and promote healthy weight.
- While not a laxative, Gynostemma promotes digestion and healthy bowel movements.
- It cleanses the kidneys and liver while being a blood detoxifier, carrying toxins out of the body and aiding the detox processes
After all of that, what does it TASTE like? Gynostemma is grassy, without being overly herbaceous. It’s quite tasty and can be enjoyed without so much as a drop of stevia, as the added Luo Han Guo adds natural sweetness. I like mine stirred with a cinnamon stock or slice of lemon and enjoy in the late afternoon or evenings. Ready to give Gynostemma a try? Check out my recipe for my Dragon Herbs Longevity Tea Inner Peace Tonic!