After twenty-one years of trying to manage my Hypothyroidism & Hashimotos, I took a risk that was outside of the box with a Medical Medium that paid off. I feel the best I have ever felt in my lifetime. I know that is a HUGE statement to make, but it’s 100% true! Hypothyroidism is the name for the underproduction of thyroid hormones in your body. Hashimotos is a disorder in which the immune system is not attacking itself, but it is going after real intruders (viruses, toxins, radiation, etc.) in your organs and in this case the thyroid. Sadly, this is one of the fastest growing autoimmune diseases today.
I was told from the beginning of my diagnosis that no matter what lifestyle and diet changes I made, I would NEVER live without medication. It can feel defeating to hear that and my journey hasn’t been an easy one – over twenty years of learning, trying new modalities, modifying my lifestyle and nutrition has taken commitment, but I am more focused and I have more energy than I thought possible, despite my diagnosis.
I am excited to share my story, challenges, what worked for me, and the protocol I believe turned my life around. After starting this, I felt really good about three months in and I am now one year strong into it. I am a seeker of answers and have worked for years to get to the root cause of my issues. I am not a doctor. The information I’m sharing worked for me, but by no means is it for everyone. These are supplements I found helpful in addition to my existing food and probiotic protocol (you can learn more about that here).
The role that Epstein-Barr (EBV) plays
My journey really started with the role that EBV plays in autoimmune disease. Because autoimmune diseases can be caused by a variety of things, I can’t pinpoint just one – but I did go through radiation treatments and I did have severe EBV outbreaks throughout my life (chicken pox, tonsillitis, streph throat, mono, cancker sores, shingles and the list goes on). Infections are a major cause and often over-looked, with EBV being perhaps the most common infection attributed to Hashimoto’s. Genetically, some people just have a really hard time controlling the Epstein-Barr virus throughout their life and so it goes for me, I genetically was predisposed to catching everything that came my way.
Research shows that if you were to biopsy the thyroid gland and test the tissue for the Epstein-Barr virus, you would find extremely high concentrations of the Epstein-Barr virus in the thyroid gland of individuals who have Hashimoto’s (or at least for those in which EBV was the cause).
How my protocol begin
Upon learning of the relationship between EBV and Hashimotos, my first step was to lower my viral load.
- Natural Immunogenics Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol – I used this antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral to help lower my viral load
- Eidon Ionized Zinc – Zinc is a mineral many of us are deficient in, it strengthens the immune system and protects the thyroid from virus inflammation
- Pure Encapsulations Ester C – Strengthens the immune system and flushes viral toxins from the liver
- Pure Encapsulations Lysine lowers virus load and acts as a central nervous system anti-inflammatory
- Wild Harvest Licorice Root Extract – Lowers viral productions and strengthens adrenals and kidneys. Licorice root extract contains healing flavonoids, phytoestrogens, and glycyrrhizin (this is the key ingredient that can benefit lowered hormone levels caused by hypothyroidism). It extends the life of cortisol, by slowing down its breakdown and making it more available, in turn helping youy body better able to cope with stress and combat adrenal fatigue.
- To be effective, it must contain the key ingredient glycyrrhizin. If you find a brand that states DGL, this key ingredient has been removed. Do not take if you have any heart issues. Wild Harvest is also alcohol free. (DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!)
Because I have Hashimotos, I have to be especially careful with my B12 levels, as deficiencies can be more common. B12 deficiencies impact your entire cellular metabolism, provide energy, and contribute to brain and nervous system functioning. In particular, Hashimotos can lead to deficiencies, you can have your levels checked to see if this affects you.
This particular brand of liquid B12supplement is a blend of methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, the two most bioactive forms of vitamin B-12, that are more absorbable and bioavailable.
Vimergy is more about detoxing the toxins from the organs, potentially, even cleansing the thyroid. One of the most significant benefits of barley grass is to cleanse the liver and eliminate toxic build up. The liver’s biggest role is to take toxins and convert them into chemicals that can be eliminated from the body. Most of the conversion of T3 and T4 also takes place in the liver. The liver and the kidneys have been estimated to be responsible for up to 80% of T3 and T4 conversion, therefore the cleansing and function of both of these organs is crucial for anyone suffering from hypothyroidism.
Spirulina rebuilds central nervous system and cleanses heavy metals. It is also a good source of B vitamins and lowers effects stress. Spirulina contains thyroid supportive minerals, such as iodine and amindo acid tyrosine, which together make up one form of thyroid hormone.
Research affirms that iodine, a micronutrient present in many of the foods we eat (in trace amounts), is key in helping the thyroid gland make thyroid hormones. But, many of the foods we eat are deficient in micronutrients including iodine (mainly due to processed foods, poor soil quality). This particular iodine was designed to be more bioavailable and its key benefits to thyroid health include:
- Keeping thyroid iodine levels in balance
- Improving thyroid and endocrine system function
- Helping regulate hormone imbalances associated with weight gain
- Helping to protect the thyroid from absorbing radioactive isotopes
- May assist in reducing or preventing goiters
- Increasing energy and stamina
Tulsi is an adaptogenic (anti-stress agent) herb that is adrenal and thyroid supportive. I drink it in tea form (delicious) on a daily basis. Adaptogens, like Tulsi, help to regulate the Hypothalamic-Pituary-Adrenal (HPA) axis, they adjust imbalances related to immunity, hormones, and stress, and help you restore energy. Holy basil is also used to regulate serum cortisol levels and reduce anxiety and emotional stress.
I am here to tell you that there is hope, every individual is unique and each case is different, you may not go off of your medication, but I am living proof that you can improve the quality of your life, reduce or eliminate your symptoms, and begin to thrive.
The information above is simply a protocol that worked for me. It is in no way a recommendation for you, as every case is different and each person responds differently. Always consult with your doctor before going on any supplement protocol. For a consult with me to discuss further, you can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org