Holidays, stress and travel. Whether you’re looking forward to it or dreading it, one thing is certain, the holidays can be harder on your immune system than your cranky mother-in-law is on you. By the time the holidays are over and it is time to go back to work, your body can get so run down, that it needs another vacation to recover…sound familiar?!
The combination of stress, being exposed to travel germs, struggling to fit in your exercise or wellness routines, and nutritional challenges, like month long exposure to holiday party foods, all take a toll on your health.
Consider this your holiday supplement survival guide. Follow this to keep your immune system functioning on the go, keep those extra pounds from creeping on, and stave away adrenal stressers with my supplement essentials for healthy holidays.
1.Continue to take your probiotic every day. This one will never go away and is a reminder that your body needs consistency when it comes to probiotics. A minimum 50 B probiotic will help keep you regular, keep your digestive system operating smoothly, and will help keep your gut in check.
Recommended: Dr. Ohhira’s Professional Strength for traveling because it does not need to be refrigerated. Renew Life Ultimate Flora “Go Pack” is a 50B travel pack that does not need to be refrigerated
2.Daily Multivitamin. This one daily pill contains all the vitamins and nutrients your body needs to start healthy. Those unhealthy, simple carb loaded holidays foods deplete your B vitamins, while traveling and stress hinder immune function. A high quality multi-vitamin is a daily dose you can take to stay healthy.
Recommended: Pure Encapsulations O.N.E. Multi-Vitamin
3.Super Food Greens Powder. Cookies, mashed tater’s, ham, cheese balls….these all make it a little tricky to get your nutrients in. Chances are you’re not going to be nourishing yourself during the holidays as much as you do before bikini season. A super foods greens powder contains super foods like spirulina, chlorella, kelp, and nutrient dense grasses (I highly doubt any of these are in your holiday food traditions!). This is the perfect way to pack vitamins, minerals, and photo-nutrients into your day to support detoxification and immunity.
Recommended: Amazing Grass Raw Reserve Super Greens Powder, Philosophie Green Dream Superfood Powder
4.Vitamin D & K. Sunlight is our most important source of vitamin D and during the holiday season, for most of us, that is when we get the least amount of it. Vitamin D’s benefits have been shown to be greatly enhanced when paired with Vitamin K. Kill off bacteria and boost your immunity while you’re on the go with this potent vitamin combo.
Recommended: Ortho Molecular Vitamin D & K, I recommend dosage of 5,000 I/U per day when traveling or during holidays
5. Immune Boosting Blends. During times of travel, changing weather, and stress, your immune system takes the biggest hits. A combination of mycelium and fruitbodies are essential for supporting immunity. This unique blend boosts immune function and promotes resistance to “cellular assaults” assuring that you will make it through the holidays cold and flu free.
Recommended: Host Defense My Community Comprehensive Immune Support
6. Digestive Enzymes. You need a strong supple of digestive enzymes to break down food into nutrients and even more during times of indulgence. Taking digestive enzymes with your holiday meals will help you break down fats better, break down carbohydrates, break down simple sugars, and break down proteins. The bonus is that taking digestive enzymes can help to ease the pain and discomfort caused by the foods on your holiday plates. This includes relieving gas and bloat, reducing feelings of over-doing it, and helping to eliminate constipation and gas.
Recommended: Enzymedica Digest Gold ATPro
In addition to supplementing, here are 4 easy tips to get through the holidays healthy:
- Stay active. A 20 minute interval workout, 3 times per week will reduce stress, increase immune function, and boost your calorie burn for up to 24 hours post workout.
- If you find yourself getting caught up in family drama and holiday stress, I suggest downloading the Calm.com app on your phone and finding 10 minutes a day to step away for mindful meditation.
- Use DoTerra Balance or Serenity Essential Oils to induce calm and promote good sleep. I rub serenity on the bottoms of my feet to release tension and calm any emotions from the day. If you’re in the mood for a relaxing bath, add a couple of drops of Serenity or Balance for spa relaxation at home.
- Focus on restorative sleep. No matter your travel schedule or holiday party plans, if you prioritize getting good sleep, your chances of staying well improve immensely. Bedtime by 10pm guarantees that you will get maximum restorative sleep (happens between 10pm-2am)and 8-9 hours per night is a must!