When I was diagnosed with Lymphoma, I woke up to a whole new way of living. One of the most powerful tools I used to heal my cancer was juicing. Juicing for cancer treatment in addition to the other holistic modalities helped me beat cancer. I became a Holistic Nutritionist and Cancer Coach to teach you what worked for me!
Juicing has become a staple of the integrative, holistic lifestyle and it’s easy to see why. Juice is referred to as “living broth” as it is filled with nutrients and enzymes that absorb easily and quickly to heal our bodies. You would be pressed to find a holistic health coach who didn’t promote juicing!
Note: the trend of juice cleanses (3 or 5 days with no food and only juice) isn’t a replacement to a nutrient dense, whole-food diet. Juicing should be a supplement to your cleansing lifestyle and is one component of many that lead to what I call a “cancer free life”.
Science and reasoning that supports the benefits of juicing. Here are a few I share with my own clients:
- Juices are filled with plant-based nutrients. Imagine eating 3-4 pounds of vegetables a day! With juicing you can easily consume more than half that amount for breakfast alone.
- Juicing allows us to absorb plant DNA, cytoplasm, ribosomes, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, mitochondria, proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates that reside only in raw fruits and vegetables.
- In its raw form, nutrients remain “alive” in juice for maximal benefit and absorption.
- Nutrients in juice protect our cardiovascular system and heart health, fight off inflammation and prevent cancer.
- Juice is packed with enzymes, which are responsible for converting nutrients into energy.
- Juice is full of antioxidants, which detoxify our bodies from environmental toxins we absorb over time, and flush them from the body. The waste and toxins we harbor within our intestines inhibit our healthy cell function, which affects our organ functioning.
- Juicing boosts the micro-electric possibility in our cells, which improves how we utilize oxygen, bringing new life into our brain.
- Anthocyanins and flavonoids found in juice protect our cells against oxidation.
- Juicing contributes to better sleep and improved digestion over time. I have heard women claim that their PMS symptoms drastically decreased after converting to a juicing lifestyle.
- Juicing leads to clearer skin and brighter eyes overtime. Get that glow!
- Juicing provides support against allergies and decreased effects from chronic illness, even for those with a long history of illness.
- Juicing increases concentration and mental alertness as nutrients are absorbed much quicker than conventional eating.
- Juicing is a game changing option for people who have had difficulties losing weight. Juice flushes out stored toxins in our bodies that create roadblocks to weight loss.
Are you ready to move forward with juicing as a lifestyle? Remember the golden rules:
1. More veggies than fruit! Fruit is still sugar and doesn’t have the fiber needed to help digest the sugars. Make your vegetable sources the bulk of your juice makeup, in particular, organic, green vegetables.
If juicing is a new thing for you, assimilating to the flavors of green juice will take time. Start with gentler vegetables, such as cucumber, celery, and add lemon or lime to cut. Slowly add dark leafy greens, such as dandelion greens, collard greens, romaine lettuce, asparagus, spinach, watercress. You may choose to add roots (ginger, turmeric, horseradish) and branch out with herbs (parsley, cilantro) and more colorful vegetables (carrot, beet, radish, sweet potatoes). My rule is 1 fruit to every 4 veggies.
2. Juicing needs to be incorporated with a balanced, whole-foods diet to get the fiber and additional protein that juicing does not provide.
Be sure to peak at the recipe section of my website for some of my favorite juice blends and if you’re ready to take your health to the next level, I highly recommend seeking out a certified holistic health coach to support you along the way!