I am right in the middle of moving house, and like it or not, it’s time to get my old pantry cleansed and my new pantry restocked. It’s something we should do with the change of every season. You want to be confident that when you open your cupboard, at your fingertips you’ve got healthy foods that inspire you to create delicious meals. Here’s what I’ll be tossing and and what I’ll be keeping:
What to Toss:
1. Table salt- table salt is over processed and lacks minerals; high salt diets cause 150,000 premature deaths in the U.S. each year.
2. Sugar or artificial sweetener – sugar leaches calcium from the body and contributes to weight gain; artificial sweeteners taste awful and are made from totally foreign chemicals.
3. White rice – the milling that converts brown rice into white rice destroys all dietary fiber and fatty acids, as well as more than 60% of Vitamin B3, B1, and B6, as well as other minerals.
4. White pasta – egg, gluten, refined wheat make eating white pasta like eating cardboard; it can raise your cholesterol and has very little nutritional value.
5. Vegetable or canola oil – these oils are made largely from genetically modified crop, and contribute to heart disease.
6. Sugary cookies – it should be obvious…sugar!
7. So called health or diet bars – highly marketed diet bars have more in common with candy bars than with anything remotely healthy.
8. Non-organic herbs – the difference between non-organic herbs and spices and organic herbs and spices will amaze you!
9. Potato chips, packaged snacks – packed with hydrogenated oils and salts.
10. White flour – it has been stripped of all nutritional value.
11. Artificial maple syrup and non-raw honeys – it’s no better than white sugar.
12. Ketchup, processed mustards and other condiments – filled with chemicals your body doesn’t know what to do with.
13. Roasted salted nuts- roasted nuts are rancid.
What to Get (don’t be intimidated, just buy what you need!):
1. Celtic sea salt, Himalayan pink salt, or Herbamare – Celtic sea salt has stronger flavor and more minerals than regular table salt; it even has microscopic amount of sea life. Herbamare is a blend of sea salt and herbs that packs a savory punch!
2. Raw honey, xylitol, stevia, organic raw agave – raw honey is antibacterial, xylitol fights tooth decay, stevia is low calorie and plant based and totally harmless.
3. Quinoa, spelt berries, brown rice, teff, millet, buckwheat, wild rice and amaranth – these great grains will support your energy. If you can find them sprouted, that’s preferable.
4. Soba noodles, wakame seaweed, kelp noodles – nutrient dense.
5. Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flax-seed oil, walnut oil, avocado oil, pumpkin seed oil, Udo’s Choice oil blends – these fats will condition your skin while cleaning your arteries.
6. Apple cider vinegar -pro-biotic and great for metabolizing fat.
7. Organic dijon mustard- a staple that can be used in everything from marinades to salad dressings.
8. Organic dried fruit and dehydrated veggie snacks – healthy, easy snack and salad topper.
9. Organic raw sprouted nuts – cashews, walnuts, pistachio, almonds, and Brazil nuts are a great source of protein and healthy fats.
10. Raw seeds – hemp seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are also heart-healthy, anti-inflammatory additions for smoothies and salads.
11. Beans – lentils, chick peas, and black beans are the easiest to digest and a low-fat source of protein.
12. Fresh and organic herbs and spices- fresh herbs and spices are best, but dried will work. Organic herbs and spices taste phenomenal!
13. Herbal and organic teas – green, yerba mate, and chai are great for toning the system.
14. Coconut water- very hydrating.
15. Crackers – flax crackers, brown rice cakes are light on fat and satisfying.
It might seem like a lot of work, but cleansing your pantry will make you feel healthy without even putting a thing in your mouth!