After months of cooking every iteration of winter greens and hearty root vegetables, I enthusiastically welcome the fresh crop of vegetables that arrives each spring. This easy-to-make vegetable salad is an excellent way to kick off the season! It’s loaded with nutrient powerhouses like snap peas, golden beets, asparagus, and pea tendrils. You’ll catch me sneaking in as many of these spring veggies as possible before the summer season kicks off.
1 bunch asparagus, blanched and cut into coins
2 cups snap peas, sliced in half lengthwise
4 cups of butter lettuce
2 cup pea tendrils or pea shoots
1 cup golden beets, spiralized
1/4 cup unsalted cashews
a pinch of flaky sea salt
a pinch of fresh-cracked black pepper
- Start by bringing 6 cups of water to a boil. Season with 2 tablespoons of salt, and add asparagus; boil until tender for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove with tongs, or drain in a colander, and immediately transfer to ice water for 1 minute to stop the cooking process.
- Cut the asparagus into coins and set to the side.
- Slice the snap peas lengthwise and use a spiralizer for your beets.
- Set the beets on a paper towel to remove the excess water.
- In a bowl mix the asparagus, snap peas, lettuce, pea tendrils, and beets.
- Top with cashews, seas salt, and fresh pepper. Enjoy!