I am loving watercress right now – I’ve been adding it to soups, salads, and even smoothies and juices! This delicious green has tons of benefits: it is very hydrating as it is 95% water, it supports strong bones as one cup of watercress provides all the vitamin K you need for a day, it is an anti-inflammatory cruciferous vegetable, and the phytonutrients are great for your hair, skin, and nails! I could keep going, but let’s get into this delicious salad instead. I topped mine with Miyoko’s vegan mozzarella, pistachios, fennel, avocado, and a fresh orange, but top yours with whatever is speaking to you!
4 ounces of snap peas
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced on a mandolin and chilled in a bowl with ice water
Your favorite citrus vinaigrette
3 cups of watercress
1 peeled navel orange cut into segments
1 ripe avocado, sliced
2 ounces of diced Miyoko’s mozzarella
1 T toasted pistachios
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Set a bowl of ice water nearby.
- Drop the snap peas into the boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove the snap peas and immediately drop the into the bucket of ice water.
- Allow the peas to cool completely (about 15 seconds)
- Drain the peas and place them on a towel to dry
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel with 1-2 T of the dressing and a pinch of salt. Gently toss to coat.
- Assemble the salad on a platter with the watercress base, fennel, snap peas, orange slices, avocado, and mozzarella.
- Drizzle the dressing and top with pistachios, salt, and pepper. Enjoy!