This colorful salad is one of the cleansers’ favorites! This salad is loaded with protein, phytonutrients, and fiber. I love the cleansing effects of the mint and parsley, as well as the vitamin-rich pumpkin seeds. This salad is quick and easy to whip up, but it will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
2 cups chickpeas drained and rinsed
2 T olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 T za’atar
5 cups spring mix
1 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
1 cup sliced Persian cucumbers
2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
1 cup pickled shallots
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint and parsley
8 T pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the drained and rinsed chickpeas with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the za’atar seasoning.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Add the sliced red peppers to a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- In the same large mixing bowl, add the roasted red pepper, cucumbers, halved cherry tomatoes, pickled shallots and chopped fresh herbs.
- Add in the roasted chickpeas. Toss together and spread on top of the spring mix.
- Garnish with fresh mint and parsley and pumpkin seeds.
3-4 shallots, peeled and sliced
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup water
1 T honey
1 tsp salt
½ tsp whole peppercorns
½ tsp pickling spice
- Slice the shallots into thin rings. Stuff them into a glass jar that’s big enough to fit all of them.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour the brine over the shallots in the jar. The brine may not fully cover the shallots, but they will shrink down as they pickle.
- Secure the lid on the jar or container and gently shake/swirl so that the peppercorns get evenly distributed. Let the shallots sit for at least 30 minutes to cool.
- Enjoy immediately after cooling or transfer to the fridge for later use. Pickled shallots will keep in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks.
Creamy Harissa Viniagrette
1/4 cup cashew yogurt
Zest of one lemon
3/4 tsp harissa paste
2 T of lemon juice
1 garlic clove, grated
1/2 T pomegranate molasse
3/4 T maple syrup
Add salt and pepper to taste
- In a separate bowl add the cashew yogurt, lemon zest and juice, harissa, garlic, molasses, and maple syrup.
- Whisk together and season to taste.