Lunches with Elissa are not only an incredible way to build up a supportive wellness community of clients, follower’s, and new friends – but it is also the perfect place to try out new recipes like this one put together by my personal chef, Amber. Each lunch features a plant-based menu with recipes for the attendees to takeaway. This recipe requires a little more work, but the result is beautiful (and delicious). Using Juka Organics Red Palm Oil Sauce for an extra boost of flavor, this is one that you should definitely try when you have some time to play around in the kitchen.
Makes 4 whole rolls/ 8 halves
4 whole purple cabbage leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium eggplant
1 T. Juka Organics Red Palm Sauce (mild or spicy if you like some kick)
2 yellow or orange bell pepper
1 onion, sliced thin
1 pint cherry tomatoes
microgreens of your choice
Prepare each component of the roll individually, then put rolls together and roll up. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- For this recipe, you will want whole purple cabbage leaves. The best way I’ve found to do this is to remove the core of the cabbage. Clean cabbage well and pat drive. Place whole cabbage in the microwave for about 60-90 seconds. This will soften the leaves and allow you to carefully peel back a whole leaf. Brush each whole cabbage leaf with olive oil, grill on each side until slightly charred, but still in tact (you want leaves to be pliable since you will be making the rolls with them). Grill on medium heat for about 4 minutes per side, then set aside to cool.
- Line baking sheet with foil. Wash and pat dry your eggplant. Pierce with a fork. Rub your eggplant with olive oil, then place in the oven under broiler and roast for about 25 minutes, very important that you turn every 5-6 minutes. Eggplant will be charred on the outside and collapsing on itself. Set aside to cool. When cooled, remove the skin, mash the roasted eggplant with sea salt and a spoonful of the Juka’s Organic Red Palm Sauce in Mild or Spicy. Taste, adjust seasoning as needed and set aside.
- Roast bell peppers by cleaning, then rubbing with olive oil. Lay on sides on sheet pan (these can be roasted together with the eggplant to save time, but they will require a bit more cooking time). Turn every 10 minutes until charred on the outside. Then remove and steam the skin off by placing them on a cutting board and covering with an inverted bowl for 10-15 minutes. This will make the skin easy to peel off. Once skin is peeled, discard seeds and cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- Blister tomatoes by tossing in olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and place in oven at 425 for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Onions can be roasted in the oven or caramelized on the stove top. In using oven, simply brush slices with olive oil and place on lined sheet pan. Roast until golden brown and crispy on the edges.
- Now it’s time to assemble your rolls. Spread your cabbage leaves out, trimming the thick vein first. Then in the lower half of the leaf, add a generous schmear of the eggplant and red palm oil spread and sprinkle with sea salt. Next add a layer of thin sliced bell peppers, caremelized onions, sprinkle with the blistered tomatoes, and top with microgreens.
- Roll the cabbage leaf around the filling, roll from the end closest to you upwards, rolling each leave upwards, tucking the ends in to create a tight burrito like bundle. Cut in half, serve with option of additional eggplant sauce for dipping.