This salad was a huge hit! The romaine is so easy to broil, and the walnuts are a perfect crunchy addition. Broiled romaine is high in minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. Plus, it’s very easy to digest – your gut will thank you! The salad is light but still filling because of the walnuts, parmesan, and dressing. Enjoy!
2 medium heads of romaine lettuce
1 T olive oil
1/3 cup toasted walnuts
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I love the Violife vegan parm!)
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup parmesan
Juice from 1/2 a large lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/8 tsp fresh pepper
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients into a glass jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until a thickened dressing forms. Set aside to serve with the salad.
- To broil the romaine, turn your oven to the highest Broil setting.
- Cut the romaine hearts in half, leaving the bottom intact so the leaves stay together. You will have four halves of romaine.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and rub it into the romaine leaves. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the romaine hearts, cut side down, on a large baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes. Flip them over and broil the other side for 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye on the romaine, as some broilers will work faster than others. They should come out looking slightly charred, not burnt.
- Remove the sheet of romaine from the oven and, using tongs, place the hearts on a serving platter cut side up.
- Top each heart equally with the toasted walnuts and grated parmesan.
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve warm or at room temperature.